Monday, November 10, 2008

grease lightning


I take a dance class at my gym here in Cusco.  It is meant for fitness, but I use it as an opportunity to fine tune my Latin dancing skills with lovely old Peruvian ladies.  Today, however, my dance instructor had a 30 minute long "Grease" mix and proceeded to teach us (well, teach them) the sweet moves of John Travolta and Olivia Newton John.  It was probably the most hilarious thing I have ever seen.  

Interestingly enough, I am probably the funniest thing they have ever seen when I whip out my Latin dance moves. Although I am improving.

Another point worthy of note, today was the first day I noticed how badly I stick out in the gym classes...well, at the gym in general.  I looked around me, and everyone dancing grease lightening along with me was half my height, with skin about 12 shades darker and hair about 30 shades darker. 

Oh, and another note.  Many of the women wear 80s work out clothes.  I am talking bright florescent green, yellow and pink spandex with matching scrunchies.  Yes, scrunchies.  They are bringing them back.  (Or it's possible that scrunchies have never been "out" in Peru... who knows???)

2 comments:

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

Jennifer,

Your adventures are so interesting...your point of view so fun. Thanks for sharing!

Warmly,
Tracey

em said...

i mean, i think scunchies have never been out.

but maybe that's just me...